Puzzled

Discuss all things

Moderator: Country_Bubba

allnew

Puzzled

Post by allnew »

I am trying out v7 before considering v8. Here's the problem:
I am using a single side 4x8 board and milling a 2x3 circuit.
The probing operation went well: autoleveller probed according to the guide. The probe touched the board and continued its routing until the end.
I started milling and initially the cut depth looked good .At the very end of the operation, appx 1 square inch of the board did not get touched at all by the cutter.
I had the probing routine measure the board every .375 inch, totaling 63 points. But how can it be that a board can be so far off on such a small section?

Of course, I could not probe the board again, given that parts of the surface had been already milled.

The only way to remedy this situation was to remove the board and level the sacrificial board.

One suspicion is that there's some slight flex in the board, and that while the probe requires little pressure, the cutter requires more. This, however, would be true only if the cut were heavier rather than lighter.
Another factor is that the board is a single side board measuring .040. Does autoleveller probe depth settings need to be changed for this thickness?

I am puzzled.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
tony
Country_Bubba

Re: Puzzled

Post by Country_Bubba »

Tony,
I think you hit the nail on the head with flexure as I have seen that at times on some of my boards. This is one reason I went to a vacuum chuck to hold the board down and not flex.
Art
Country Bubba
Zig

Re: Puzzled

Post by Zig »

This is the story of the proverbial cat.
Do I open the box ( run the cutter over the laminate ) to check if the cat is alive ( to make sure the laminate is level ) or do I take it in blind faith the cat is alive ( kind of )..

What I want to say is leveler idea is fine only as a first degree approximation. As soon as the surface of the laminate is cut the leveling data is dead.

Some people use vacuum chucks, I use a floating head on my machine.