Cut right through board

Help for setting up and using
spinnaker

Cut right through board

Post by spinnaker »

Just started using autolevller and so far a few successes. I few mishaps. Most on my part like missing a broken bit.

Tonight I had one that I could not explain. Things seemed to start out all right so I left the machine to do its job. I really should have checked more and I might have more information.

Anyway I went to check on the progress and I found the machine milling right through the board! It is late so I am going to do more of an autopsy tomorrow to see if I can figure out if things got progressively worse as time went on.

But has anyone seen this before? I am using version 0.7.7 My Flat cam is set to a mill depth of -0.002 inches.

And what is AutolevellerAE? I don't mind paying to get it. I just want to make sure this whole milling thing is going to work out for me or I need to go back to toner transfer.
daedelus
Site Admin

Re: Cut right through board

Post by daedelus »

OK, first of all AutolevellerAE is an upgrade to Autoleveller; it does the same job as Autoleveller (i.e. it essentially probes and levels) and it looks familiar but with some differences (some noticeable, some less noticeable). I originally wrote it to take advantage of the new Java 8 features and to experiment with new ideas and approaches. That being said it is probably more reliable that Autoleveller, and you may not have the issues you encountered when using AutolevellerAE (depending on the cause of the problems). Give the free version a try from the download page.

The latest versions of both Autoleveller and AutolevellerAE are available for members which feature numerous fixes, improvements and new features over the free versions.

Virtually all updates are applied to AE now, and eventually it will completely replace AL. AL will be removed from the site leaving just AE.

In short, prefer AE over AL.
http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/. Software to probe and adjust a GCode file for PCB's or any probe-able surface.

http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/cnc-probe-guide/. A short guide to setting up the probe.

-James