SmoothStepper Issues

Help for setting up and using
msimpson

SmoothStepper Issues

Post by msimpson »

My environment
I have several CNCs up and running in my shop. Most are on parallel ports. I do have a couple on the USB based SmoothStepper. Some can be controlled both ways.

I have a DIY books written on building the KRMx01, KRMx02, KRmc01 and the KRmf70 machines. I also have couple DIY based article series in Servo Magazine.

I am doing research for an extensive series on milling your own CNC machines. I will also be doing a blog on my kronosrobotics website, as well as the KReduCNC built in the Serve Magazine series.

I have successfully dont isolation routing on all these machines (parallel port and USB) working through the height inconsistency and producing some very nice working boards, both large and small.

The logical next step in my research is to add auto leveling via both the free and paid versions of Autoleveller. I have both. After some extensive testing here is what I have found.

All the machines on parallel port have had no issues and the Autoleveller has allowed me to improve the consistency of my boards.
What I have not been able to do is get any of the Autoleveller software to work with the SmoothStepper. I do have the probe working and can even issue single G31 and #variable commands from the MDI, but they dont work when running a job.

I have tried the following options without success.
1. I have used both the R3.043.066 and R3.043.062 versions of Mach3.
2. I have configured and used all SmoothSteper ports Ports 1,2, and 3.
3. I have used both the 0.7.7 and 0.8.7 versions of Autoleveller.
4. I have also used the probe only option (logger) in version 0.8.7.

Here is what I know:
The smooth stepper takes a block of Gcode commands from Mach3 and runs them on its own, with very little contact with Mach3 only sending a small token or signal back to Mach3, letting it know that it is moving to the next command. It also monitors a few things coming from Mach3, in case you change something in real time, or stop the program. This all works pretty good, until you get into probing, and a few other options that requires real time monitoring, like index signal monitoring.

If you issue these commands manually through the MDI they do work fine, but when they are sent as a job to the SmoothStepper.
At this point I will have to recommend to the folks that they cant use the Autoleveller software, if they are using the SmoothStepper.

Any thoughts would be helpful.
daedelus
Site Admin

Re: SmoothStepper Issues

Post by daedelus »

I have recently added an FAQ page which may or may not help you. http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/faqs/#qe-faq-6966

The answer for the question about USB suggests writing a macro for mach3, this may help.

Have you tried AutolevellerAE? It gives you the option to run the command/macro using the custom controller options.
http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/. Software to probe and adjust a GCode file for PCB's or any probe-able surface.

http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/cnc-probe-guide/. A short guide to setting up the probe.

-James