autoleveller works, but the "advanced edition" doesn't (winxp 32 bit operating system) - anyone else encountered this?

Help for setting up and using
SouthPark

autoleveller works, but the "advanced edition" doesn't (winxp 32 bit operating system) - anyone else encountered this?

Post by SouthPark »

Hi all! On my winxp 32-bit system (dell optiplex 780), the standard edition of autoleveller (jar file) starts up without any problem. My computer has no problem with starting up the standard versions of autoleveller that works with java 7. So autoleveller0.8.7.jar starts up just fine on my computer. I start the software by double-clicking on the autoleveller icon.

I'm using winxp because Mach3 works nicely with winxp.

The barrier I'm facing right now is --- I can't start up any of the advanced editions, such as "AutolevellerAE v0.7.8" (and other advanced "AE" editions). If I try to fire up the advanced editions by double-clicking, then a small windows box pops up, with the window title saying "Java Virtual Machine Launcher", and with a message that says "A Java exception has occurred". I'm currently running "Java SE development kit 7 update 80", which is Java SDK7u80.

Does anyone have a work-around or recommendations for me to try (to deal with that java exception condition)? Thanks in advance!!!

---

Update: I'm not too experienced in Java. But then decided to see what happens if I try start the non-advanced and the advanced edition on autoleveller using command line. I managed to start up the standard autoleveller (not advanced edition) using command line...... no problems....the autoleveller window pops up without issues:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents>java.exe -jar c:\test\Autoleveller077.jar
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx512M

......And then....when I tried to start the advanced edition, I get this message:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents>java.exe -jar c:\test\AutolevellerAE-0.7.8.jar
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx512M
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: com/cncsoftwaretools/autoleveller/Autoleveller : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(Unknown Source)
SouthPark

Re: autoleveller works, but the "advanced edition" doesn't (winxp 32 bit operating system) - anyone else encountered thi

Post by SouthPark »

Cancel that call folks. All ok now.

Even though I'm using winxp, I went ahead to install jdk-8u121-windows-i586.exe in my winxp sp3 machine.
Everything is working fine now. The thing was ..... that I forgot that it is 'ok' to install java 1.8 (or versions of java that no longer 'support' winxp).....as long as it works without issues etc. And I incorrectly assumed that java jdk7u80 was for AutolevellerAE-0.7.8.

I should have remembered all of these steps (as it had been a while since the first time I went through the procedure -- and should have made notes at that time, but did not), or should have gone through the instructions for using/installing autoleveller anyway.

Also, I should mention that this autoleveller software is excellent. Very well developed now.

Thanks all.
daedelus
Site Admin

Re: autoleveller works, but the "advanced edition" doesn't (winxp 32 bit operating system) - anyone else encountered thi

Post by daedelus »

Thanks for posting. This serves as an excellent reminder that Java 8 is required for the AE editions.

As a side note, I think I used a feature which is only available in java 8 update 80 or above a while ago, so you will need a version of Java > update 80. The latest version is java 8 update 144 according to the oracle site and at time of writing https://java.com/en/download/
so this is fine.

Java uses a fairly odd naming convention where sometimes you will see java 1.8 and other times you will see java 8, they are the same. There is also the JDK (Java Development Kit) version for java coders, and JRE (Java Runtime Environment) if you just want to run Java. Either will work with AE.

As SouthPark pointed out, Microsoft pulled support for Java on WinXP machines a while back but you can still install and use Java 8 on WinXP as long as there are no issues. Which there should be hopefully.
http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/. Software to probe and adjust a GCode file for PCB's or any probe-able surface.

http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/cnc-probe-guide/. A short guide to setting up the probe.

-James