Autoleveller for Plastic engraving

Help for setting up and using
PeterDobson

Autoleveller for Plastic engraving

Post by PeterDobson »

Need advice.

I can generate the probe file successfully and from there generate a corrected Z axis file to use on the CNC machine. But Version 0.8.7 (stuck with Windows XP) insists on using auto probing for Z axis onto a PCB metal surface before starting the final cut. If I try to by pass this (Because I have already set Z axis zero) the G-code runs straight to the end of the script without moving anything on the CNC machine. I would very much like to generate a Z corrected G-code that I can then set my own Z reference externally to the G-code and then just run the Z corrected G-code. I currently use a Mach3 plug-in which is very good at setting the Z reference for me before I start to run the G-Code.

I managed to do this with Version 0.7.7 several months ago, but now I return to it I am completely baffled as to how I did it!!

Must be getting old. BR, Peter Dobson.
Country_Bubba

Re: Autoleveller for Plastic engraving

Post by Country_Bubba »

Peter,
I also bypass that section as I have my own auto tool length setting system. Not Mach, but I have done it since the beginning of using Autoleveller.
I am using the current version of AE and cannot find a verifiable version of gcode using V8.7 on my hard drive to be able to give you an idea on how to do it. If you could upload a sample of what your doing, I will be glad to look at it and offer (hopefully) a solution.

Another certifiable ole man :lol:
Art
Country Bubba
PeterDobson

Post by PeterDobson »

Hi Country_Bubba,

Thanks for getting back to me. Having slept on the problem, I tried again today but this time took the generated files from windows XP and then ran AutolevellerAE-0.9.4u2 on a separate Windows 10 machine and generated the required Z corrected files. At the beginning of the g-code I found this:

G90 G21 S20000 G17

M0 (Attach probe wires and clips that need attaching)
(Initialize probe routine)
G0 Z25 (Move clear of the board first)
G1 X20 Y20 F600 (Move to bottom left corner)
G0 Z2 (Quick move to probe clearance height)
G38.2 Z-1 F100 (Probe to a maximum of the specified probe height at the specified feed rate)
G92 Z0 (Touch off Z to 0 once contact is made)
G0 Z2 (Move Z to above the contact point)
G38.2 Z-1 F50 (Repeat at a more accurate slower rate)
G92 Z0
G0 Z2
M0 (Detach any clips used for probing)

Which I deleted. Now the code seem to run correctly. I don't remember having to do this before and just wondered if there was a tidier way of achieving the same results??

Full z-corrected file enclosed.

Thanks Pete D.
Attachments
ALG600 engraving.ngc
(25.04 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
Country_Bubba

Post by Country_Bubba »

Pete,
Glad to see that you have it sorted out.
Yes that is basically the way I did it. I had a "boiler plate" file that I used to overwrite that section of the code.

The latest version of AE (AutolevellerAE-0.9.4u2) gives you the option of make your own custom Z initialization.

Its under the "member downloads"

Good luck with your engraving.
Art
Country Bubba
PeterDobson

Post by PeterDobson »

Thanks,

I'll check out the members download.

Thanks for your advice.

PD.