Newbie question, no insight found on forum

Help for setting up and using
airnocker

Newbie question, no insight found on forum

Post by airnocker »

I'm a newbie to autoleveller but a longtime user of Mach3 with my DIY CNC machine and experienced in isolation routing of single-sided electronic circuit boards.

It would be nice to have seen in the basic "Quick Start Guide" or "Autoleveller Guide" documentation as simple, basic explanation for how the autoleveller java app "knows" how to properly "control" a CNC machine that normally is "controlled" under Mach3. I'm a "paid" user, so before I run autoleveller I would like an understanding for how autoleveller will work in conjunction with Mach3 running.

Mach3 has be setup with all the sundry parameter for the axes stepper motors and their mechanical drive ratios, along with break-out-board ports and pin settings.

How does autoleveller leverage this important CNC table control information?

Thanks in advance

airnocker
airnocker

Re: Newbie question, no insight found on forum

Post by Country_Bubba »

Airnocker,
Welcome aboard and we will attempt to give some insite to your question.

For the short of it, there are documentation documents on the website such as this one:
http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/autolevel ... art-guide/

There are others there also that give more details etc.

Autoleveler does not control the cnc machine. You have indicated that Mach3 is your controller and that will have to be configured to make things work in the X, Y, Z directions with accurate movements at requested speeds.

What Autoleveler does is to probe the surface of your stock to "map" the variations in the Z Plane and then apply these deviations to previously generated G-code such that a consistant depth of cut will be applied to the cutting action. The reason for the need to probe might be due to the fixturing of the stock which can cause distortion, or simply do to the manufacturing process that causes variations.

Hope this gives some resolution to your question, but if additional detail is needed, please do not hesitate to ask again with your detailed questions.

Regards,
Country Bubba
Art
Country Bubba
airnocker

Post by airnocker »

Thanks Country Bubba,

I've read all the documentation provided on the website.

Yes, Mach3 is my CNC controller software and is setup, has been setup for years to accurately control the XYZ axis. And I have written and use an AutoTool Zero macro for probing to XYZ work piece edges and top. This utilizes Mach3's G31 "probing" command.

I totally understand the purpose of probing to generate a reference height map matrix of the surface.

So were I am not following is that you state "What Autoleveler does is probe the surface of your stock to "map"...Z variations". Yes I understand that, but in order for the Autoleveller to do so, does it not have to control my machines XY & Z axis to effect the probing and mapping?

OR does it work this way? This may be a "EUREKA" moment.
Autoleveller has a screen for entering the defined coordinate area for probing, the probing interval, feed rates, clearance plane, target depth, etc. Does it then take this data and generate the Probing G-Code file that Mach3 then runs in order to generate the CSV file's height map matrix? This would explain a lot, if after the CSV file is created from running the "probing" G-Code file, the target isolation routing G-Code is loaded into the Autoleveller for it to apply the height adjustments to a modified target G-Code file for subsequent running by Mach3, once a final Z=0 probing is done within the mapped area.

(I think I got it, please let me know.)

All the best,

airnocker
airnocker

Post by Country_Bubba »

airnocker,
As I read your post, you have got it! :D

I use the 'two stage' process where Autoleveler generates a file to do the probing and generates a Raw Probe File (RPF) and take that file and let Autolever combine it into the Original G-code file to generate a final file.

Regards,
Country Bubba
Art
Country Bubba
airnocker

Post by airnocker »

Many thanks!
airnocker

Post by CitizenOfDreams »

Country_Bubba wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:04 pm I use the 'two stage' process where Autoleveler generates a file to do the probing and generates a Raw Probe File (RPF) and take that file and let Autolever combine it into the Original G-code file to generate a final file.
I prefer the two-stage process as well. When you make a circuit board, sometimes you need to stop your program and run it from the start (for instance, to adjust Z, or to replace a broken tool). You can't run the probing routine again if your stock material is not virgin anymore.
airnocker

Post by airnocker »

CitizenOfDreams wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 2:51 pm
Country_Bubba wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:04 pm I use the 'two stage' process where Autoleveler generates a file to do the probing and generates a Raw Probe File (RPF) and take that file and let Autolever combine it into the Original G-code file to generate a final file.
I prefer the two-stage process as well. When you make a circuit board, sometimes you need to stop your program and run it from the start (for instance, to adjust Z, or to replace a broken tool). You can't run the probing routine again if your stock material is not virgin anymore.
I used the AutolevellerAE two-stage process last week for the first time, using conventional BOB input pull-down-to-ground probing, for a 4" x 4-1/2" circuit board. I worked great! The difference between this one and the four same boards done previously are quite apparent. I'm very pleased with the AutolevellerAE.
airnocker

Post by Country_Bubba »

Fantastic, I am glad to hear about your success! :D

I agree the program is very helpfull in making pcbs successfully.

Country Bubba
Art
Country Bubba
laurienz

Post by laurienz »

I also had problems working out how to use this program as it stated that it was a standalone program and didn't need anything else (apart from Java) to run. I expected it to drive my cnc router directly to do the probing. All it does is insert the probing commands into the GCode for Mach3 to do the probing and then uses the resultant file. I think it is a great system and works well, but there is a gap in the instructions for someone who has never used it before. It all made sense when I found this Instructable: https://www.instructables.com/id/Machin ... C-Machine/ . Thanks for a great product but maybe add a little more to the instructions for new users.
daedelus
Site Admin

Post by daedelus »

Noted.

When I said it was 'standalone' I meant it doesnt use or interact with Mach3 (or any software) or your CNC machine directly, all it does is modify the GCode you give it. In this way its completely independent and can be run on any computer (not necessarily the one controlling you CNC machine). I can see how 'standalone' could be confusing though and am redesigning autoleveller.co.uk currently, so will try to update this. Thanks.
All it does is insert the probing commands into the GCode for Mach3 to do the probing and then uses the resultant file.
Well inserts the probing commands and modifies each Z value to make use of the probe values, to be pedantic.
http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/. Software to probe and adjust a GCode file for PCB's or any probe-able surface.

http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/cnc-probe-guide/. A short guide to setting up the probe.

-James