G31 probe problems with Mach3, only with Autoleveller

Help for setting up and using
dwneumann

G31 probe problems with Mach3, only with Autoleveller

Post by dwneumann »

Like previous reporters I am also having problems with probing using AutolevellerAE v0.9.4u2 with Mach3 v. R3.043.062.
The AE Gcode file executes to the first G31 (line 23) then halts as soon as the probe touches the surface.
Mach3's built-in touch-off probing macros work perfectly using both the 1024 screenset and the 2010-4 screenset, using the identical eletrical probe and workpiece setup and hardware. I can confirm that the Probe Active LED does correctly turn on and off whenever the probe touches the work surface and is removed from the work surface. I can confirm by single-stepping the program that as soon as the probe touches the work surface during line 23 "G31 Z-0.0625 F3 (Probe to a maximum of the specified probe height)", the program does not exeucte any further.
Even if I manually disconnect the probe wire after line 23 then attempt to continue execution, the program executes no further.

I am using a SmoothStepper USB controller board with a commercially built DeepGroove1 CNC controller and Taig mill.
Unlike previous reports of this problem, in my case the G31 problem is not intermittent but 100% repeatable. It seems like this is not a USB issue but rather something to do with the probing macro?
What can I check, provide, or do to help troubleshoot the problem (short of replacing my hardware)?
Thanks for any suggestions...
Dean Neumann
daedelus
Site Admin

Re: G31 probe problems with Mach3, only with Autoleveller

Post by daedelus »

Apologies for the late reply,
Whats odd about this is that the GCode which Autoleveller produces is just standard GCode and as long as there are no errors in this GCode, there should be no problem in probing. There has been a few problems with USB boards in the past but I know several people use a smoothstepper successfully.

Have you tried creating your own custom macro as per this suggestion from steamer?viewtopic.php?f=8&t=349
http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/. Software to probe and adjust a GCode file for PCB's or any probe-able surface.

http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/cnc-probe-guide/. A short guide to setting up the probe.

-James