Using autoleveller with 3d shapes

Help for setting up and using
ross2120

Using autoleveller with 3d shapes

Post by ross2120 »

Hi

The software looks great! I am wondering if it is possible to use it with a 3 dimensional shape in a non-PCB milling application?

For example I would like to carry out what is effectively a standard mill facing operation, on a model with 3 angled faces. The gcode for it necessarily has negative z values as my axis is defined from 0 to -600.

Is it possible to use autoleveller to compensate for the differently angled faces?

Thanks!
Country_Bubba

Re: Using autoleveller with 3d shapes

Post by Country_Bubba »

Hi,
I am going to take a stab at this one and state that I doubt that it will work. My logic behind this is that Autoleveler is designed to make the cutting surface come to one plane. As I understand your question, you have multiplanes that you want to surface?
Art
Country Bubba
ross2120

Re: Using autoleveller with 3d shapes

Post by ross2120 »

Yes that's it, a 3d object with multiple surfaces, but to be able to flatten out each individual surface.

If each piece of gcode was just one surface, could it work given that the surface may not be parallel to the machine? I.e. not flat on a router, but some angled surface the mill must move to and work on in 3d space?

A picture might do a better job of explaining than me waffling :)
prism.png
prism.png (14.39 KiB) Viewed 4414 times
Imagine you want to face off the yellow front 3 faces of that object, working on one surface at a time, but your machine is only parallel to the middle face. Your milling cutter would have to follow the angled surface for the other two faces.

Thanks for replying!