Suggested enhancement or feature

Help for setting up and using
adel314

Suggested enhancement or feature

Post by adel314 »

I just completed my first PCB using auto leveller and it worked very well. Indeed I did an etching test pass at 0.1mm and got a perfect outline of the board. However I did have one false start where some noise falsely triggered the probe and I wound up with a big air pocket in the middle of the board.

Even though I am working on improving my noise rejection and grounding, it would be nice to know if the probing does have an embedded anomaly - a simple prompt would help. On my subsequent runs I checked each probe touch to make sure it was okay. Hence the ability of the software to detect an out of tolerance measurement would be handy.

Other than that - a great bit of software...
daedelus
Site Admin

Re: Suggested enhancement or feature

Post by daedelus »

I think thats certainly possible although it does raise the question of what the tolerance value should be and whether this value is valid in all cases. For example, a particularly curved surface such as a computer mouse might need a different tolerance value to a PCB.

The other possibility is to perform the same probing process twice and compare the values for anomalies. This would be a more enforceable approach.

I would suggest you should make sure the surface and probe is as clean as possible prior to probing to try and avoid the false measurements
http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/. Software to probe and adjust a GCode file for PCB's or any probe-able surface.

http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/cnc-probe-guide/. A short guide to setting up the probe.

-James
adel314

Re: Suggested enhancement or feature

Post by adel314 »

Yes, you raise a good point regarding the broader application of the software. Thinking about this you could probably just have a set of profiles, one of them being say PCB (which I will assume is required to be perfectly flat) etc.

In the mean time I am aware of my issue and just apply a little caution during the probing.