Double Side Board "Awareness"

Want something added to the software or web-site?
adel314

Double Side Board "Awareness"

Post by adel314 »

This is probably a tall order, but when probing the top side of a double sided board, there is a possibility that the probe could slip into a pre-drilled hole from completing the bottom side of the board. I suppose one option is to drill from the bottom side but the whole process is very delicate and I prefer to know that the bottom side is complete before switching to the top side. Anyway, one possible way around this is to detect an anomaly or to detect the holes from the drill file.

I acknowledge that this is hardly worth considering but it does fall within the criteria for a "Suggestion for Improvement" :idea:
daedelus
Site Admin

Re: Double Side Board "Awareness"

Post by daedelus »

Thankyou yes, something similar has been mentioned before.
Personally, I would just leave the hole drilling till after you mill the second side as you said. I think thats how many people do things?

I think AL could extract the drill information from one gcode file and use that to choose where not to probe the second time. Its worth considering for the future but it may be tricky to change the probe routine in code.
http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/. Software to probe and adjust a GCode file for PCB's or any probe-able surface.

http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/cnc-probe-guide/. A short guide to setting up the probe.

-James
adel314

Re: Double Side Board "Awareness"

Post by adel314 »

I have just completed a few double sided boards and drilling from the top side does work okay however you have to have confidence in your alignments and setup because you don't get any visual indicators that the top side and bottom side have matched until after you have finished etching the top side.

I have the procedure down pat now so there is not a huge issue but if I had a preference it would be to drill from the bottom....