Dealing with persistence files

Help for setting up and using
spiessa

Dealing with persistence files

Post by spiessa »

Hi
I welcome the new functionality of creating a "level" file and avoid the leveling procedure afterwards.

I use a homemade vacuum table and had to learn (using autoleveller) that the plate is not completely flat. My vacuumized bedsize is 200x300 mm and I want to create two layered prints.

In order to get a good quality level file I made several runs and averaged them out. So, I have now good data for the whole bed (one file should be sufficient because it covers the whole bed). Now my questions start:

How is autoleveller dealing with this information if
-The board is smaller than the whole bed?
- If I do double sided, my 0/0 is once on the left, once on the right. How does autolevellerdeal with this (negative x)?

An additional remark: If I use a persistence file the zeroing is very important since it is the basis for the whole routing. Therefore, for me it would be better to do this zeroing not at 0/0 but somewhere in the middle of the board (preferrably changeable, with default values for the middle of the board). At 0/0 I have usually no traces. Most of them are closer to the middle of the board (and the vacuum is also better there...)

Regards and thank you very much for your great work!

Andreas
daedelus
Site Admin

Re: Dealing with persistence files

Post by daedelus »

Hi Andreas,

Glad to hear you are making good use of the AutoLeveller :)
-The board is smaller than the whole bed?
The AutoLeveller uses the nearest 4 surrounding probed points to adjust the Z for any point in the gcode file. So the fact that the probed area is larger does not matter to Autoleveller.
- If I do double sided, my 0/0 is once on the left, once on the right. How does autolevellerdeal with this (negative x)?
What people normally do when they flip the board to etch the bottom side is make the flipped right hand edge 0/0 by touching off the X axis to 0 so that everything to the left is now negative and the tool still stays within the table bounds.
An additional remark: If I use a persistence file the zeroing is very important since it is the basis for the whole routing. Therefore, for me it would be better to do this zeroing not at 0/0 but somewhere in the middle of the board (preferrably changeable, with default values for the middle of the board). At 0/0 I have usually no traces. Most of them are closer to the middle of the board (and the vacuum is also better there...)
Unless I have misunderstood, The machine initially resets Z with the sub-procedure to whatever the probe file says it should be. So Z is set from the probed point at 0/0 and not any of the traces. Its a good thing that you have no traces at 0/0 because there is no chance of a partly milled board interfering with resetting the Z should you need to start etching from the beginning. You can of course change the values for the sub-procedure call as described in the AutoLeveller guide.

Hope this helps.
http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/. Software to probe and adjust a GCode file for PCB's or any probe-able surface.

http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/cnc-probe-guide/. A short guide to setting up the probe.

-James