Unable to set OGF in AE7.8

Help for setting up and using
joeaverage

Unable to set OGF in AE7.8

Post by joeaverage »

Hi,
I have been using extensively AutolevellerAE7.8.

Today when I came to my machine I found that when I clicked the <Browse> button to navigate to a new OGF
file it refused to display a browse window?

I notice that a log file has been generated:
WARNING:Could not create/open prefs root node.......

It looks as if something has changed or been corrupted. How do I go about resurrecting it?

Craig
joeaverage

Re: Unable to set OGF in AE7.8

Post by joeaverage »

Hi,
I have tried downloading and installing AutolevellerAE095.

It appeared to work, that is to say it correctly loaded the OGF and generated a PGF file.
The PGF file ran on my machine and generated a what looks to be a compliant probe data file.

The Probe tab remained greyed out. It may be that because my machine is run on a dual core Atom
PC that does not have decent 3D graphics. However AE7.8 displayed the probe data a a 2D display.
Does 9.5 do the same?

Craig
joeaverage

Post by joeaverage »

Hi,
I have solved the problem. I vaguely recall having a similar problem some years ago
and had a recollection that a Registry Fix was required.

I did some searching in the Bug Report page and found the reference. I deleted the Registry entry
and now AE7.8 works as it used to, ie I can <Browse> to a new OGF.

Craig
joeaverage

Post by joeaverage »

Hi,
having deleted the Registry entry and subsequently being able to <browse> to a new OGF
I thought I would go back and have a look at the fresh new registry entry.

To be honest it looks the same, within the fact that it pointed to a different file.

My best guess is that the entry became corrupted and thus when AE searched the registry entry
for the current default directory path it encountered a corrupt entry and therefore would not
open a browse window. That would suggest the <browse> function is very susceptible to a compliant
registry entry.

I use my machine at work and it is left powered up but idle 24/7. I used it on Friday and per normal left it
over the weekend with both Mach4 and AE7.8 running. This morning when I went to do a job I found
that AE7.8 had mysteriously closed itself, and when I fired it up this registry problem presented itself.
I can't decide whether its Gremilins or maybe COVID affecting my PC.

Craig