RE-Zero for 2nd Engraving?

Help for setting up and using
Vivid RGB

RE-Zero for 2nd Engraving?

Post by Vivid RGB »

I'm new to Autoleveller.
Ran my first cut yesterday! It was a bit hard to figure out, but finally got there.

Here's the question - We are using CopperCam to process our Gerber files into Gcode.
There is an option in CopperCam to do 'hatching' - which removes all the copper so that your final board matches the Copper as shown in the Gerber files.

You can use two different bits for this, so the first engraving can be done with a 30° bit for really fine work and then you can go back with a 45° or 90° to remove all the other material.

So after I run the first tool - everything is Zeroed and runs, but when I change the tools, I need to re-zero.
I can use the Auto-Tool-Zero function in Mach3 (Setup is Mach3, Gecko G540 + Taig Mill) - BUT does the location that I zero the 2nd tool important?
DO I need zero it at the same point at the first tool?
Or can I just zero it where ever the tool change position ends up?

I think it would be almost impossible to re-autolevel after the first engrave because there would be no continuity.

This would also be important for drills, but from what I am reading, everyone just creates a drill depth that accounts for the board variations, so it's not a big issue.

I will say that with the hatching, our boards look really great.

Sepp.
Vivid RGB

Re: RE-Zero for 2nd Engraving?

Post by Vivid RGB »

Test in progress - FAIL....

So I must have hit something when I was doing to the tool change and now everything is a mess....
I tried to Restart the code at the tool change line, but it just keeps resetting to top before the Autolevel probe..

(I should mention that this is all based on using the .7 version - perhaps I need to upgrade to .8 to handle my application?)

What happens now?
I tried to re-zero... but it's making divots on all the down strokes
I can see that there's formulas or unique codes in the Gcode, - is there a simple place that can explain what's going on?
I assume that if I re-load the Gcode, the auto level settings are lost?

Since the first level of etching is done, there would be no continuity for a re-probe....

Thanks
Sepp
Country_Bubba

Post by Country_Bubba »

OK, lets try this again:{(
First off, my comments are based on using the latest version of the program that can be found on the "Members" download page which will do a probe file which your then apply to you gcode file.

In MY personal setup routine, I first do a touch off on a touch pad with tool 0 (NOT the raw PCB) and this is in G53 machine offset. Then depending on whether I am doing the top of the board (I use machine offset G54) or the bottom of the board (I use G55 machine offset) do a touchoff to find this offset and save it.

Now, I can use any tool with a tool number >0 and do a touch off on the touch pad (G53) and then change to the appropriate offset and the tool will be at the right height. In your case as you want to use a second tool, follow the above procedure and continue on. No additional probing is required. :D

HTH
Art
Country Bubba
Vivid RGB

Post by Vivid RGB »

Thanks HTH,

I purchased the membership and upgraded, it has gotten a little bit better.

I've also tightened up some of my tool definitions in the full workflow and had a bit more practice now.

I understand the basics of what you are saying, but not the actual workflow.
In thinking about this, perhaps that's why I didn't understand the two "zero movements" at the begining???
SO the first one is to establish a fixed 0 and the others are all an offset from that?

For now I've been running the same bit for both the isolation run and the hatching to prevent me having to re-zero.
Until I get my next round of bits delivered this is where I'm at...
I have also updated my Layouts to allow for a bit more clearance.
My engineer was sending me files with .01" traces... I'd say I had a 80% success, but it was only first day with everything.
I'm running .02" now and that's pretty solid so far.

However I do have another question...
Currently when I run a file with the probe, the Mach3 Tool path is only the yellow probe grid?
Is this a setting? How can I keep the original tool path?

Sepp
daedelus
Site Admin

Post by daedelus »

Hi Sepp,
SO the first one is to establish a fixed 0 and the others are all an offset from that?
Near enough Correct :) It should probe 3 times at the origin during probing.

1. Probe at full probe speed to establish z-zero roughly
2. Probe at half the probe speed to more accurately find z-zero which is where all other points are offset from
3. Probe a 3rd time at the origin just because this is the first point in the AL loop (not really needed because we have already probed this point but doesnt do any harm to leave it in either).

You can stop and change the bit at any point assuming you have used the log file method. Using subs O100 and O200. See http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/autoleveller-guide/ for more details. This page needs work but will hopefully be of some use.
Currently when I run a file with the probe, the Mach3 Tool path is only the yellow probe grid?
Is this a setting? How can I keep the original tool path?
I havnt used Mach 3 for a while but hopefully a Mach 3 user can answer you. Will reinstall and setup mach3 shortly.
http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/. Software to probe and adjust a GCode file for PCB's or any probe-able surface.

http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/cnc-probe-guide/. A short guide to setting up the probe.

-James